Nov 17, 2008

Tuesday Tip Day

Out of onion powder? What?


This last weekend I was making some onion soup mix and I had ran out of onion powder. I pondered on the situation and decided to grind up some dehydrated onions and see how it turned out. To my surprise it tasted wonderful. I will now make my own onion powder. This way I know what is in it and not all that added junk.

Onion Soup Mix

2/3 Cup Dehydrated Onions
1/2 Cup Beef Bullion
2 tsp. Parsley
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 Cup Butter or Margarine Powder
2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
2 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Garlic Powder (Optional)

Mix well and place in an airtight container. This mix can be used with anything calling for onion soup mix. You will learn to love it!

I did make some Alfredo sauce with my dehydrated onion powder it called for 1 tsp. I think next time I will cut it in half. So if you try this only use 1/2 of what you would normally use.

2 comments:

Linda said...

how did you grind your onion flakes? just in your wheat grinder? or blender?

Nichol said...

I Just put it in my blender and turned it into powder.