Nov 7, 2008

Food Storage Friday


Taco Soup.
Who can have a food storage and not make Taco Soup. It is an all time favorite soup at our house, and my kids just devour it. I seem to not be able to make it often enough. Best of all almost everything in it comes from my food storage. I call it one of my dump and go recipes because I can just dump the ingredients into my stockpot or crock pot and practically walk away until it is done. This is my kind of recipe.


2 pounds ground beef or chicken
2 cups diced onions
2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans pinto beans or black beans
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can pink kidney beans
1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can tomatoes with chilies
2 (4 1/2-ounce) cans diced green chillies
1 (4.6-ounce) can black olives, drained and sliced, optional
1 (1 1/4-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 (1-ounce) package ranch salad dressing mix
Corn chips, for serving
Sour cream, for garnish
Grated cheese, for garnish
Chopped green onions, for garnish


Brown the ground beef and onions in a large skillet; drain the excess fat, then transfer the browned beef and onions to a large slow cooker or a stockpot. Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, green chilies, black olives, taco seasoning, and ranch dressing mix, and cook in a slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours or simmer over low heat for about 1 hour in a pot on the stove. To serve, place a few corn chips in each bowl and ladle soup over them. Top with sour cream, cheese and green onions.