Nov 6, 2008

Magic Mix

I am going to share with you a recipe that comes from the USU Extension Office. I just love this mix. I have been using it for years to make all sorts of yummy foods. I will be using it a lot in later blogs, so have some ready. This mix does need to be refrigerated in an air tight container.

Ingredients

4 cups instant (or 2 1/3 cup non-instant) dry milk
1 cup flour or 1/2 cup cornstarch (I prefer using flour and it needs to be white flour not wheat.)
1 cup (2 sticks) margarine

Combine dry milk, flour and margarine into a large bowl and mix until it looks like cornmeal. I like to put it in my mixer with my whisk beaters. It makes it much easier and only takes about 30 seconds. Keep mix tightly covered in the refrigerator. Makes 5 cups.

I will share with your our first recipe using the Magic Mix.


White Sauce :

For thin sauce: 1/3 cup Magic Mix and 1 cup water.
For medium sauce: 1/2 cup Magic Mix and 1 cup water.
For thick sauce: 2/3 cup Magic Mix and 1 cup water.

Stir over medium heat until smooth and thick. You can also add in any spices to your white sauce to change the flavor. Try adding broth in place of water for a wonderful gravy. Yield 1 cup.

0 comments: