Nov 22, 2008

Layered Chili


This recipe is the easiest chili recipe if you want to add chili to your food storage. I can it and everything just goes into my jars in layers. It is simple and doesn't take much time. The most time consuming part is cooking the hamburger.

Layered Chili
2/3 cups dry Kidney beans rinsed
2/3 cups ground beef, browned and drained
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
dash of black pepper
2 TBS Chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I omit this)
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
2 Tablespoons tomato sauce
This recipe is for quarts. Have your jars sterilized and lids warm. I like to place my clean jars in the oven set at 225 to warm them up and to sterilize them. Place each ingredient in the jar in order. Fill remainder of jar with hot water leaving a 1 inch head space. Process at 15 lbs of pressure for 90 Min. When ready to use garnish with cheese and sour cream. Easy dinner.

2 comments:

Steven said...

I just tried canning the chili and got great positive comments from my family. I thought it was rather watery and wonder about upping the amounts of beans and hamburger, also using tomato paste instead of sauce. I used pinto beans but doubt that would have made much of a difference.

Nichol said...

Steven, I too have adjusted the beans and hamburger over time. I still love the recipe. Thanks