Oct 24, 2008

My Bread


I finally found the perfect bread. My family loves it and it is fast and easy to make. I start with about 6 cups of white wheat and place it into my grinder and grind it all up into flour. I like to grind it fresh each time i make bread. This helps retain the nutritional value of the wheat. I like using white wheat but you can use red wheat instead but it will make a much denser and heavier bread. I also use 2 500 mg. tablets of Vitamin C. I just go and grind it right in with my flour. A dough enhancer is a powder that is supposed to make your dough smoother and is what commercial bakers often use to obtain the smooth textured bread you buy in the store. My bread doesn't last long since we eat it quickly, but it is supposed to help with shelf life as well! I like using the Vitamin C because it is a natural enhancer.

After my wheat is all ground into flour I am ready to start making my bread.

I add in my mixer:

4 cups of really hot tap water. (not boiling but hot)
1/2 Cup Powdered Milk
1/2 Cup Oats ( I like to use a 7 grain rolled mix)
1/2 Cup Oil
1/2 Honey
3 Cups of whole wheat flour

I now turn on my mixer and mix until it is smooth and starting to bubble a bit. Then I add:

2 Tbsp. yeast
2 Tbsp. Salt
4-5 Cups of whole wheat flour
1/4 Cup Vital wheat gluten

Many who have made my bread have asked me why their bread doesn't turn out like my bread and I ask them how much flour did you actually use? If you will only use the 8-9 cups of flour your bread will turn out wonderful. If you continue to add flour it will be dense and dry.

The key to good bread is kneading. I kneed my bread for a minimum of 10 minutes in my mixer. It will be very sticky and you will think.... How is this ever going to be good bread. Trust me it will. DON'T ADD MORE FLOUR. It will be so sticky that you will probably have to wash your hands again after you are done placing it in the pans.

While my dough is kneading I turn my oven onto the lowest setting on the oven. Mine is 170 degrees. I prepare 3 loaf pans and I spray them with Pam. You could also put butter or shortning on them. Once my bread is done kneading I place a small amount of oil on my counter. Never flour and I kneed it a bit more by hand and then I cut it into three equal parts and shape it into my pans.

Place the pans in the oven and check it in about 20-30 min. or until it is doubled. When it is doubled I turn the oven up to 350 degrees and bake it for 40-45 min.
Once they are done I brush the tops with some butter and let them cool. It will be all gone before you know it and will be time to make some more. ~Enjoy!~

0 comments: