Dec 27, 2008

Sealing Food With Food Sealer

I hope that everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I know I enjoyed the day despite my horrible chest cold. After cleaning up the house for the holidays I had some dry goods that needed to be sealed away in Mylar. A lot of sisters from my ward have been asking me how I do this. So Friday we set up our assembly line and started sealing away. We did dehydrated onions, dehydrated carrots, potato flakes, oats, and apple slices.


You will want to fill your Mylar bags.

Once the bag is full give it a firm tap on the table to settle the food in the bag. You don't want to over fill the bag or it won't seal properly. Add your oxygen absorber.



Line up the top of the bag and flatten the top out holding it tightly at the top. Make sure there are not wrinkles or folds in the Mylar.

Place the bag into the sealer and seal the bag. Making sure nothing is in the path of the sealer.


This isn't the best picture but, I wanted to show you a seal that is not a good seal. If you notice that there is a crease in the Mylar. You will have to go and reseal above or below this to ensure a good seal.

Then have someone cute label the bag. You don't want it to be a mystery down the road.


Then someone handsome needs to place them into boxes.

And last but not least. Someone that is NUTS!

6 comments:

Laurie said...

What are you using for the machine? I've seen the foodsaver, but never anything like what you are using. Is it expensive to use mylar? Do you buy the goods in bulk in January and then break them down for use during the whole year, or is this an ongoing monthly process? Thanks.

Nichol said...

Laurie, I use a 110 Volt Automatic Impulse Pouch Sealer. This sealer is ideal for packaging dry foods for home food storage. It produces a 5-mm-wide seal and is capable of sealing up to 8-mil-thick pouches, with a maximum width of 12 inches. A foot switch activates operation of the sealer. It has a safety switch to cancel operation if the jaw opening is obstructed. Separate controls are provided for sealing time and cooling time. The sealer is a portable tabletop model. The one I use is from my stake (church). You can purchase them for about $350.00 I purchase 250 Mylar bags for about $94.00. I love storing in Mylar. I purchase bulk throughout the year and seal it when convenient. Hope that helps.

Jen Lambert said...

I have a friend who can get me this is system. I have been looking at purchasing a sealer to help my food last longer. I was wondering about this particular model. Can you give me an idea about how long the food lasts once you seal the mylar bags. Would you recommend I also purchase the oxygen absorbers to put in the mylar bags along with food for longer storage? Thanks for the information.

Nichol said...

Jen,
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. The amount of time an item last depends on what it is. Is there anything in particular you are wating to seal? You definatly want to use an oxygen absorber as long as it has a moisture content of less than 10%.

Anonymous said...

Oooh that puppy is running $410 at ldscatalog.com. I don't think I can convince the hubby that's a good idea. :(

We've been using a regular foodsaver sealer for freezer storage, have not tried to use it for dry storage.

Just found your blog today and really enjoying the info. Thanks for taking the time to put all this helpful info online! :)

Bob said...

The length of storage time also depends on the temperature where it is being stored and the content's fat or oil content. For best results, store at 70 degrees or cooler. Beans, rice, wheat for instance can be stored in the right conditions for 20-30 years.